After School Care at West Portal
Growth & Learning Opportunities (GLO)
Growth & Learning Opportunities (GLO) is our on-site, after-school care program. For more information, please go to their website: www.gloinc.org
Location: On-site at West Portal School
Time: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
GLO Full Day Programs include breakfast, snack, visits to various locations, and lots of fun activities for the kids.
Students also participate in the programs listed below. These are all third parties, not affiliated with West Portal School. Please contact the organizations directly for additional information.
All stars mandarin
Location: On-site at West Portal School
Pick up from classrooms.
Hours are Monday – Friday from after school to 3:50 or 6pm.
Contact Angela Fu by phone at 415-928-9381, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to their website: www.allstarsmandarincenter.com
Beginner, intermediate, and advanced-level classes available.
BayAreaChess combines fun and learning while promoting a team spirit where everyone helps each other succeed and improve. Our chess program will cover the basics for new students to the game and we can challenge experienced players with more advanced concepts. Students will have the opportunity to learn the moves of the pieces, opening strategy, tactics, checkmates and endgame play. Students will also learn valuable life skills through chess, such as winning and losing with grace, sportsmanship, planning and team spirit. Our mission is to transform and enrich the lives of students through chess.
- Open to grades 1-5, Fridays, 2:50-4:00
- We pick up grade 1 students from their classroom at 2:30 and bring them to class
- We drop off grade 1 students at GLO who remain on site after 3:30
Fall semester dates: Friday, September 14 – Friday, December 14 (no class Friday, 11/23)
SF Rec & park
Location: J.P. Murphy Playground, 1960 9th Ave.
Pick up from school.
Hours are from after school to 6pm.
Register online at www.sfreconline.org, or go to SF Rec & Park's website for more information.
After school program includes homework assistance and recreation activities such as sports, group games, arts and culture, and community exploration.
At Little Artistas, children are exposed to the Spanish language using creativity and art. The methodology of the class is multi-disciplinary, integrating images, speaking and reading. Children will explore different techniques and materials to create their artwork (collage, watercolor, paint, among others). The class is taught in Spanish and English, allowing children to build vocabulary, pronunciation, and conversation skills. Some financial aid available.
- Open to grades K-2, Tuesdays and/or Thursdays, 2:40-4:10 pm
- We pick up K/1 students from their classroom at 2:30 and bring them to class
- We drop off K/1 students at GLO who remain on site after 4:10
(Sign up for Tuesday or Thursday classes, or both days)
Fall semester dates: Tuesday, September 11 – Thursday, December 20
Spring semester dates: Tuesday, January 8 – Thursday, May 23
(no classes during school breaks/vacation days)
At Little Opera, we make operas with kids. This year will be our team's 8th season at West Portal working with students to write, compose, rehearse, and present their very own original mini-opera. The process is a holistic approach to arts education, with a focus on teaching students how to collaboratively make everything themselves. Over the course of the year, students will write a story, craft a libretto, compose melodies, rehearse, and perform a 15-20 minute show. The final result? A micro-opera that is 100% built from their own imaginations.
- Small student to teaching artist ratio of 7:1.
- All teachers are working artists.
- All assistant teachers are multi-year alumni of Little Opera’s after-school program.
- Includes special guest artist visits from local and touring artists.
- Students get to perform on stages like the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, and the Children's Creativity Theater.
- Students can try out a week before committing to a full school year.
Grades K/1: Wednesdays, 3:00 - 3:50pm
- We pick up K/1 students from their classroom at 2:30, provide snack, and bring them to class
- We drop off K/1 students at GLO who remain on site after 3:50
Grades 2-5: Mondays and Wednesdays, 4pm - 6pm
- Optional Homework Lab from 3:40 - 4:00pm
- Students bring themselves to homework lab (we can arrange pickup if needed for younger students)
- We can pick students up at GLO for 4pm program start
- Breakdown by age group: http://littleopera.org/classes/tuition-scholarships
- All families are eligible for need-based sliding scale tuition. For more information and to apply, contact registrar Jenny Hanson: email@example.com
Dates: September 12 – May 8 (Full-year program; no classes during school breaks/vacation days)