About West Portal Elementary School
West Portal Elementary is one of the largest K-5 schools in San Francisco. Our campus sits atop a hill on a tree lined street in the West Portal / Forest Hill neighborhood. Our curriculum emphasizes academic excellence and offers a rich arts education. We are both a strong general education program (with attendance area) and a city wide dual immersion Cantonese program. We have a long tradition of excellence, and a proud history of serving each member of our culturally diverse community. Our talented, energetic teachers challenge students to reach high academic standards and inspire a lifelong love of learning. Our large and successful full Inclusion Program for students with special needs is another source of pride. The active Parent Club supports the school through community building, fundraising, and supporting the goals of the school and SFUSD.
- In 2014, we were honored to be named a California Distinguished School.
- Our two-way Cantonese Immersion Program (CIP) was the first in the US and became a
- model for many other SFUSD schools.
- Our principal, Will Lucey, received the 2013 Mayor’s Principal of the Year Award.
- Our robust outdoor education and garden area (with resident chickens) was built on a former parking lot
- Unique to our school are the award winning Chinese Performing Arts Program and school wide Spring Musical
- Our curriculum includes Garden Science, Science partnership with SF State, Perceptual Motor, Music Makers, fine art, opera, poetry and a full time library program.
- Our students are equipped with new technology (Promethean "smart boards", mobile tablet carts, classroom computers) to enhance learning, help teachers create dynamic lessons, and foster collaboration in the classroom.